It can be difficult to sort out practical matters while you are coping with losing someone suddenly. 

       This section  covers some of those practical matters and agencies that you are likely to need to contact.

                      Who to tell about the death

It can be difficult to sort out practical matters while you are coping with losing someone suddenly. This section covers some of those practical matters and agencies that you are likely to need to contact. If the person who died was receiving any welfare benefits, such as a State Retirement Pension, or if you were receiving welfare benefits, such as Child Benefit for a child who has died, you should inform the Department for Work and Pensions of their death and return any order books. The Registrar will give you a certificate to fill in and return with the books. Keep a note of any reference numbers, as you may need them later on.

If the person who died had a driver’s licence, it will need to be returned to the DVLA. You will also need to let the Tax Office know about your change in circumstances.

Depending on the circumstances, you may also need to contact some other organisations and people. 

These may possibly include:

> personal or occupational pension schemes 

> insurance company 

> bank and/or building society 

> mortgage provider, housing association or council housing        office 

> any hospital the person was attending 

> a child or young person’s teacher, employer or college if a          parent, brother, sister, grandparent or close friend has              died 

> a car insurance company ( if you are insured to drive the car      under the person’s name, you will cease to be legally                  insured ) 

 > the local council housing department, if the person who has       died was living in a council house 

>  the local council Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit                 section, if the person who has died was receiving Housing           benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit 

>  the Post Office so that they can redirect the deceased’s               mail.

>  The Deceased General Practitioner, ( Family Doctor /                 Surgery ) to stop any regular appointments being sent out           and causing the bereaved undue upset.

    Further, more detailed, information about such matters is           also available from other government sources. You may find       the leaflet ‘What to do after death’, available from your               local Department for Work and Pensions office, useful. A           Scottish version is also available, ‘What to Do After Death           in Scotland’, which can be accessed at: Doc/47133/0025575.pdf

    Also, the leaflet IR45, ‘What to do about tax when someone         dies’ is available from any Tax Office. You may also wish to         subscribe to the ‘Deceased Register’. This is a free service,         run in collaboration with local Registrars, which can help you     to avoid the anxiety of receiving unwelcome post and                 telephone calls. If you do this, the name and address of the         person who has died will be added to a Register that will be         used to remove their details from databases and mailing lists     across the UK. However, the ‘Deceased Register’ will not stop       you from receiving official communications, such as tax             returns, bank statements etc. and you will still need to contact     these organisations yourself, as outlined above.

    Click On Either Of The Links Below To Register On The               Deceased Register

   Register - Deceased Preference Service

           REGISTER NOW FREE ABOVE OR BELOW AND STOP                                            UNWANTED MAIL